The following is a list of rules from the Death Note.
How to Use: IEdit
1. The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
2. This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefor, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
3. If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name name, it will happen.
4. If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.
5. After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
How to use: IIEdit
1. The notebook shall become the propety of the human world, once it touches the ground of (arrives in) the human world.
2. The owner of the note can recongize the image and voice of the original owner, i.e. a God of Death/Shinigami.
3. The human who uses the notebook can niether go to Heaven nor Hell.
How to use: IIIEdit
1. If the time of death is written within 40 seconds after writing the cause of death as a heart attack, the time of death can be manipulated, and the time can go into effect within 40 seconds after writing the name.
2. The human who touches the Death Note can recognize the image and voice of it's original owner, a Shinigami, even if the human is not the owner of the note.
How to use: IVEdit
1. The person in possession of the Death Note is possessed by a god of death, it's original owner, until they die.
2. If the human uses the note, a god of death usually appears in front of him/her within 39 days after he/her uses the note.
3. Gods of deaths, the original owners of the Death Note, do not do, in princaple, anything which will help or prevent the deaths in the note.
4. A Shinigami has no obligation to completely explain how to use the note or rules which will apply to the human who owns it unless asked.